Halloween has come and gone, but pumpkin spice lattes and witches are still on trend! This new slot, Witch Pickings is one of these seasonal products that will continue to excite for a few more weeks. This slot game offers a very unique proposition – the ability to customize your game. You can choose from 9 different bonus features, including various Wild symbols, cash multipliers and instant wins. It’s so much fun!
Now, click to read whichever section tickles your fancy.
|Release Date||October 2015|
|Casino||William Hill Casino|
|Software Provider||NextGen Gaming|
|Slot type||Video Slot|
|Platform||Android App, iPhone App, Browser|
|Return to Player (RTP)||96.8%|
|Slot Reels/ Paylines||5 reels/ 25 paylines|
|Min/ Max Bets||40p – £80|
|Free Spins||Up to 8 free spins|
|Features||Transform Symbols, Wild Symbols, Free Spins, Multipliers|
|Pros||Fun transform feature, stunning graphics|
|Cons||Free spins are rare, most wins are very small|
Back to Top.
Back to Top.
Witch Pickings has five reels and 25 paylines. The game accepts bets from 40p to £80 per spin. You stand to win as much as 800 times your wager. If I had to guess, I’d say that this game has medium volatility. There are streaks of small-sized wins, as well as the occasional smattering of big wins. All of these game specs are pretty basic, so wait until we delve into the bonus features.
The game has the traditional slot symbols like scatter symbols and wild symbols. The Wild Magic Ball will substitute any other symbols to complete winning paylines. Meanwhile, the Scatter Three Witches would trigger five free spins. It is during the free spins mode when the game gets exciting. Players get to customize the type of reward to aim for. There are three pots that players can choose from; each player gets to pick one feature from every pot.
The Blue Witch’s pot has the power to transform symbols into favourable combinations:
- All symbols transform into a single symbol. There are four symbols that qualify for this transformation, namely the castle, cauldron, potion flask or pendant. For example, the witch may choose the castle. All the other three symbols are then immediately transformed into the castle. The symbol selection is random.
- One symbol starts appearing in stacks. Either the castle, cauldron, potion flask or pendant symbol is chosen to become stacked. The symbol selection is random.
- One symbol gives out instant cash prizes. Either the castle, cauldron, potion flask or pendant symbol is chosen, again at random. Whenever the chosen symbol appears, a prize between 25 and 500 coins is awarded to the player.
The second pot, the Red Witch’s pot, boils over with Wild symbols.
- Wild symbols transform into Expanding Wilds. The purple magic ball expands to fill all three positions within a single reel.
- Extra Wild symbols are added to the reels. It is a festival of Wild symbols and winning combinations!
- Wild symbols come packed with cash multipliers. A win containing a Wild symbol is randomly multiplied by 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x or 10x.
Finally, you’ll pick a feature from the Green Witch’s pot of goodness.
- Multipliers galore! All wins are multiplied by 2, 3, 4 or 5 times.
- The game pays both ways. All wins with this feature pay from either left to right, or right to left. As a result, the game’s original 25 ways to win becomes 40!
- The game spoils you with another 5 free spins. The game adds 5 extra free spins to your existing 5, with the possibility of retriggering even more.
There are endless combinations to choose from; 27 to be exact. I’ve tried to mix and match bonuses. My biggest win occurred when I chose instant cash prizes, wild symbols and the setting to pay both ways. It’s easy to track which combination works for you with the Trophies and History/Top Scores page. The History page displays the last five feature selections and the five biggest winnings. You are also awarded trophies for different bonus features won, providing plenty of incentive for you to try all of the settings. There is also an Auto Pick button, which produces a random combination.
Back to Top.
The artistic direction of Witch Pickings resembles that of a cartoon in the 1990s. The game is set against a fantasy forest, peppered with a witch’s typical belongings. I spotted a crystal ball, a magical cat and a boiling cauldron of potion. There are bright colours, flat characters and stiff animation. Despite its dated aesthetics, Witch Pickings is powered by modern technology. The game can be played on mobile, tablet and desktop.
Of late, slot designers are putting some level of control into the players’ hands. Have you tried Good Girl, Bad Girl by Betsoft? This game allows you to choose whether to play a low-risk or high-risk setting. I had gotten many hours of entertainment by adjusting the game to suit my budget at a certain time. Then, there’s also Microgaming’s Titans of The Sun. There is a Hyperion and Theia version; both versions feature a different character with a different set of features. In my opinion, Witch Pickings easily bets these older customizable games very well.
Witch Pickings is simply brilliant. I loved testing out the different bonus combinations and measuring the amount I could win. If I had a few hours to spare next weekend, I’d sit and experiment with every model until I found the best combination. The game is relatively affordable as well, which allowed me to play for endless hours without breaking the bank. Kudos to NextGen Gaming for pushing the boundary of innovation yet again.