Have you played Bejeweled or Candy Crush? Here’s a slot-reincarnation of that game! It’s called Gemix and it’s produced by this company called Play’n Go. Gems drop from the top of the board into a 7x7 grid and you’ll earn cash when five or more similar gems match. There is a whole range of other features too, such as Wild symbols and multipliers; all designed to increase your chances of winning. The entire game is a brilliant mash-up of fun and money-making.
Slot Game Overview:
Gemix has very unconventional looks for a slot. For starters, there’s a 7-by-7 grid. Gems fall from the top into the grid; rather than spin around reels like a traditional slot game. Your aim is to match five or more gems in a single row or column.
When this happens, the gems explode and new gems fall into the grid. If there’s a new match, you immediately pocket cash for the new win and activate a multiplier. New gems fall in, maybe you score another win; it can go on and on. The multipliers increase with each successive cascade too, up to 8x. It’s pretty much like the free spins we’re used to in more typical slot games. This “cascading wins” feature offers amazing value for money and an extremely thrilling experience.
The paytable promises a top win of 1,000 times your bet. The game is playable from 5p to £50 per spin.
Notice the little meter at the top-right hand corner of your screen? That’s the Crystal Charge Meter. Every time you win, gems are added to the meter. Once the meter is full, one of five things can happen:
- Chain lighting: Symbols at two corners of the grid link up and changes every symbol in between into the same colour
- Light beam: Light rays shoot out vertically and horizontally from one symbol in the grid. Every symbol that the light ray touches then turns into the same colour
- Crystal warp: A bunch of symbols on the grid warps into similar symbols, increasing the potential for matching combinations
- Novablast: One random symbol explodes and leaves a gaping hole on the grid. More symbols then fall from above. It’s kinda like a free game
- Supercharged Crystal: This is the best feature to win. If you score a chain reaction of wins, the grid becomes supercharged and multiplies every win in the game by 3 times!
There’s a whole other dimension to Gemix too. On top of the five Crystals, there are three magical worlds that the game can take place in. It’s not just a change in scenery; each world offers different types of wild symbols:
- The Miner’s World: This world features a Miners’ Lamp wild symbol, which drops in groups of 3 to 10
- The Princess’ World: This pink world is filled with Spreading Lollipop wild symbols. The lollipops move either vertically, horizontally or diagonally across the board and substitutes all symbols in its path
- The Wizard’s World: The Book of Spells wild symbol is a Sticky Wild, which remains in its position while the gems around it keep cascading. It’ll hang out for a couple of spins and increase the number of matches. Sometimes, multiple books appear at the same time and this really boosts your winnings
These worlds rotate every 50 spins or so. They are triggered whenever you score a winning combination in certain patterns.
Gemix has the same finish as Candy Crush or Bejeweled. There’s no 2D shapes or tacky graphics; it’ll sit comfortably among the top 20 games in App Store or Google Play. (Note: gambling games are not available App Store or Google Play, and must instead be played off a casino website.) Anyway, it’s beautiful and runs well on mobile devices.
Slot games have come a long way from the three-reelers and fruit machines. Today, slots look more like the kind of mobile games you download off App Store. It is very clever how slot developers have stolen a few tricks from the arcade game developers. For example, by introducing the three different worlds to play in, players are enticed to come back multiple times. It also differentiates itself from other slots with its unique reel layout.
Gemix is just packed to the brim with features! There’s cascading reels, multipliers, the Crystal Charge Meter and its random treats, and the different Wild symbols too. It’s colourful, fun and extremely addictive. Of course, the game keeps its gambling and slot roots – every spin offers relatively good returns. I highly recommend this game.